Thursday 15 September 2016

It's Getting Crazy at Loch Ness - Time to Visit!

I will be driving off to Loch Ness soon as I take a few days break. With the recent photographs of dorsal fins and strange looking water disturbances, I feel a bit more stoked than usual as I think through the activities that will be done. That is also set against messages I am getting that some new and potentially better photographs will soon be published. I haven't seen them, so it's really a matter of wait and see.

In fact, another photograph hit the news as I was typing this article and it produced a very weird looking "animal". It was taken halfway between Dores and Inverfarigaig last Saturday afternoon by an Ian Bremner who claimed he did not notice it until he reviewed his images later. The original story can be found here.



Now when I zoomed in on the head, my first thought was "seal". But, of course, the rest of a seal does not normally look like what followed. A classic head and two humps or three seals swimming in a line? The mind began to boggle ... first the dorsal fin of a dolphin and now three seals chasing each other. Loch Ness is getting crazy these days.

But I recalled what fellow monster hunter, Gordon Holmes, said to me only five days ago from his base at Loch Ness:

I went down to the shore next to the new floating jetty at 8.43pm. Then immediately saw the outline of a small, say 17 inch wide domed dark head which seemed to be aware of my presence and just sank within less than one second. This was at the very extreme dregs of daylight. Too dark to confirm additional sightings ... 65% percent certain, it was a seal.

Looks like your powers of observation could be correct, Gordon. But three seals? Not likely, but possible. In fact, when I saw the picture, it reminded me of this photo I clipped a while back from Whipsnade Zoo in 1955.


And how could we forget that amusing manatee cartoon!




But, if these are three seals, it is still a remarkable picture. However, like the dorsal fin, I would expect some confirmatory pictures. After all, three seals in Loch Ness, should not be so easily hidden. Perhaps I will spot them myself as I head up to the loch this weekend.

Meanwhile, the weather forecast for Loch Ness doesn't look too bad and so I hope to do my usual routines plus some new stuff. I also intend to be at the "Monster Masterclass" run by Jacobite Cruises on the 18th September which will include Nessie stalwarts Steve Feltham, Gary Campbell and Willie Cameron. You can find out more details at this link.

Meantime, I leave you with this video I put together recently.  It is one of my dawn runs by car up "Monster Alley". This is the stretch of road between Inverfarigaig and Dores where the monster has been most reported coming onto land. What better way to relax than drive up this road as darkness is beginning to recede with the possibility of running into a nocturnal Nessie fleeing from the light like some aquatic vampire?!

Okay, that's a bit tongue in cheek as land reports of the monster are even rarer than water sightings and the odds of one being near the creature in such a scenario is very small. But still, I do this run every trip with my dashcam camera attach to the car window ... just in case.

The stillness of the night and the complete absence of anyone else does focus the mind a bit more. I am also not quite certain what my strategy should be if a 30 foot long creature does emerge from the forest to the loch? Run it down and solve the mystery forever or get as much recorded data as possible and let it go? I think the answer is obvious. But who knows? Perhaps I will film a "huddle" of three seals crossing the road!

You can play the 25 minute video at this link.



The author can be contacted at lochnesskelpie@gmail.com



26 comments:

  1. Actually, I am having my doubts whether Mr. Bremner failed to spot these animals. They seem to be right in your face. Perhaps there is a sequence of pictures with the seals out of "formation"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The head of the "animal" really looks like a seal to me.

    Veterans have patience with me (this is not directly related to this post), but I am wondering if the physical and behaviour characteristics of common species of turtles, snakes, fish and eels would change a lot if a very few select animals lived a long time, say 100+ years. Don't reptiles continue to grow as long as they live? Maybe the solution to the LNM and other lake monsters around the world is in plain sight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm far from convinced the Bremner pic was taken at the loch. Just doesn't look like Loch Ness water to me. I think the clue may be in where he lives - Nigg. I'm guessing it's a photo taken in one of the firths.

    It looks like some sort of sea channel to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I assume so, they too often crop out the hills, so a positive ID on location is impossible. The dorsal fin picture had the same issue, until the uncropped version turned up.

      Our witness did say he was located between Dores and Inverfarigaig.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm look at the water colour and the discolouration at the top and bottom which jbdicates shallower water.

      You won't see that water effect on the loch in my experience.

      The minute I saw this pic I thought it was seawater and I remain sure that's the case. It's reminiscent of a channel in one of the firths.

      Delete
  5. To me it looks more like a trio of salmon jumping especially the colour.there does seem to be masses of activity lately lucky you for being able to nip up to the loch without having hundreds of miles to travel .good luck & if any time is the time to visit & get results its now !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I doubt it is Loch Ness. It looks more like estuary water. I think Mr Bremnner is trying to pull a fast one here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm. Looks like a seal. I'm wondering if it could be a time lapse merge of 3 different photos. I have no experience with those, but it strikes me as odd that 3 seals should travel in a straight line like this. Anyone with decent photoshop knowledge could do this. On looking closely, there is a suggestion that areas do not line up, just to the right the middle section, and just to the left of the final section. It's not conclusive, and it's pretty well done if it is a fake, but that's my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have added that even basic already cameras can take around 3+ frames per second, so this pic is possible even with lower end equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The text in the Sun article doesn't seem to match the picture:

    "The photograph taken by Bremner appears to show a long silver creature, at least two metres long, swimming away from the lens with its head bobbing and tail flapping.

    Coming up for air, the slippery creature glistens in the sunlight, with its powerful stroke causing ripples in the calm water."

    What I see is a creature or creatures moving across the line of sight (not "swimming away ") with no tail showing, no obvious ripples and not in calm water.

    Also it would be hard to take such a picture and not notice the subject!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have the creme de la crème of British journalism here, as usual.

      Delete
  10. Hello Everyone.. I was reading the comments posted by esteemed gentlemen, I am curious and fascinated by the mystery surrounding Loch Ness. I wanted to get your opinion that in today's day and age where technology has become an integral part of our day to day lives, why have we not been able to solve this mystery? Why can't we use the technology to get the results, perhaps no one wants the mystery to be solved. The legend continues..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cruise Loch Ness do pleasure trips from Fort Augustus and have sophisticated sonar equipment on board. If there's something big under the water these guys would know.

      Delete
    2. Yes and they had a recent contact that came up from very deep to within 200 ft off the surface. I was chatting to one of the guys the other day.

      Delete
  11. I think I can safely say this is a hoax, and a very poor one at that. I think the person in question took a photo of seals in the sea then decided it could pass as the Loch ness monster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bit off subject Roland but thought Id mention something as you are coming up soon.As the weather was nice I decided to go on the cruise from fort augustus, I got talking to the guy on board and he said they had a recent sonar target that came up from deep water to about 200ft from the surface, maybe worth you having a chat with these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Roland - great to hear that you're going up to the loch - not been up this year so will enjoy even more your mix of words and film - hope your planning some night vision film - always enjoyable. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi guys fascinated as the rest of you are about this photo. However like many on here I don't think it is what we are led to believe. My brother and I saw the real deal when on holiday some 30 years ago. We were standing above the Loch in a region to the right of Urquhart Castle looking out across the Loch, when suddenly and unmistakably the clear outline of a huge creature came into view from our right. It was swimming or as I said gliding effortlessly just beneath the surface of the water. We speculated afterwards that it might have been chasing fish. It literally had the same shape that many have testified to down through the years, a long neck with almost non descript head out front joined to a huge frame of a body with 2 flipper like appendices on each side of the body. There appeared to be a shortish stubby tail at the back. I know people have been prone to exaggeration on size over the years but length wise it was as big in our eyes as the castle was to our left. I nor my brother ever forgot this vision which probably lasted less than 10 seconds, and we intend to go back at the end of October for another visit. My health has been poor but I would not miss this opportunity for the world. I'm sure many go with a hope it expectation of seeing something amazing and I too have that sense that something awaits yet again when we travel up. Like Roland we intend to head to the point on the road near Inverfarigaig where the creature has been said to be closest to the shore and at times out of the water. We are going equipped with camera and video as well as supplies for the trip. Going back to the recently taken photo it was the sheer size of the vast body that puts this photo into question for me.This photo shows what appears to be a seal like head but even the 'humps' appear too narrow in my view. Anyhow I have been ridiculed down through the years for what I said I saw but I will always stand by this as would my brother
    Tim Campbell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tim, nice story and good luck at the loch (I am just back).

      Delete
  15. Hope you had a good trip Roland, and I'm sure like myself you'll agree that any trip to the Loch is never wasted and always memorable

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've watched a bit of your dash cam video; really cool. It gives a bit more of a sense of place than photos can to someone who has not yet been there. But so far much of the roadway has various types of fence/wall on at least one side. If some thing is going to, on very rare occasion, leave the waters of the loch, it seems it would have to know exactly where it was going to get about on land. Considering the many miles Loch Ness covers this seems very unlikely...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fenced areas at the start of the film are mostly way back and high up above the water, so it's unlikely you'd get a nessie wandering there anyway - fence or no fence.

      I'd say 'monster alley' starts about 5:20 on the film - the bottom of the road after Inverfarigaig where the road drops down to nearer the water. Along the rest of that stretch there's the odd low crash barrier but no real fencing per se. It's fairly open to the loch.

      The forestry commission have also cleared a lot of the area to the left of the road over the past 2 years, so there are a lot more viewing spots and the water in general is a lot more visible.

      Delete
  17. Zoom in on the lead "monster". It's a seal. There's a couple suspicious unnaturally straight lines in there too on the middle and back hump, might be a decent Photoshop composite. Water looks slightly too blue to my eyes to be Loch Ness but I'm no expert.

    It's funny, I cut a lot of old time hoaxers slack even though I shouldn't. But for some reason I utterly despise modern hoaxers. This guy is a fool (his interview was lame) and George Edwards is an absolute chancer. He works on the Loch but actively destroys both the creature's remaining credibility and his own? Weird.

    ReplyDelete